GPOPS-II: Next-Generation Optimal Control Software
GPOPS-II is the next-generation of general purpose optimal control software. GPOPS-II is a new MATLAB software intended to solve general nonlinear optimal control problems (that is, problems where it is desired to optimize systems defined by differential-algebraic equations). GPOPS-II implements the new class of variable-order Gaussian quadrature methods where a the continuous-time optimal control problem is approximated as a sparse nonlinear programming problem (NLP). This NLP is then solved using either the NLP solver IPOPT or the NLP solver SNOPT. GPOPS-II represents a major advancement in the numerical solution of optimal control problems. GPOPS-II is available at NO CHARGE TO MEMBERS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA OR ANY STATE OF FLORIDA INSTITUTION. All others are required to pay a licensing fee for using GPOPS-II. Licenses of GPOPS-II can be purchased by clicking here.
Features of GPOPS-II
The following are some the key features of GPOPS-II:
- Allows for an extremely general formulation of the optimal control problem.
- Allows for inclusion of integral constraints and highly general boundary conditions.
- Complete first and second sparse finite-differencing of optimal control problem to compute all derivatives required by the NLP solver.
- The latest advances in mesh refinement including hp-adaptive pseudospectral methods.
- Gaussian quadrature integration methods for rapid convergence.
- Highly accurate costate estimation.
- Inclusion of the NLP solver IPOPT, so GPOPS-II can be used “out of the box”.
- Interface to be able to call the NLP solver SNOPT (but SNOPT is not included with GPOPS-II. SNOPT must be purchased separately at http://s-b-s-i.com)
- No third-party products other than MATLAB are required (with the stated exception of SNOPT which must be purchased separately at http://s-b-s-i.com).
It is important to note that all of the methods included in GPOPS-II have been published in the open literature. For more information about the details of the methods included in GPOPS-II, click here to download the recently published article on GPOPS-II that is published in the ACM Transactions on Mathematical Software. Please note that this article is open-access and is available for download worldwide and does not require a subscription to the ACM Transactions on Mathematical Software.
Fees for Obtaining and Using GPOPS-II
The fees for using GPOPS-II are as follows:
- For K-12 or University Classroom Use: NO CHARGE
- University of Florida Employees or Students and State of Florida Employees or Institutions: NO CHARGE
- Academic Research, Not-for-Profit, U.S. Government, or Commercial Use: LICENSING FEES APPLY (CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE LICENSE PAGE)
Image Courtesy of NASA.